Allah said to Maryam (A.S) in the Qur’an;“And shake the trunk of date-palm towards you; it will let fall fresh ripe-dates upon you. So eat and drink and be glad, and if you see any human being, say: 'Verily! I have vowed a fast unto the Most Beneficent (Allah) so I shall not speak to any human being this day.'
Phoenix dactylifera (date palm) is a palm in the genus Phoenix, cultivated for its edible sweet fruit.
1) Dates are a source of protein, dietary fiber and are rich in vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5.and Vitamin C.
2) The fiber supplied by a few grams of dates has an immense benefit for your health. Dates are also great energy boosters.
3) There are so many health benefits of dates that it is difficult to list all of them.
6) It is said that consumption of one date daily is necessary for a balanced and healthy diet.
A few Ahadith related to dates;
1) Sa’d bin Abu Waqqas related that the prophet (S.A.W.S) said:
“Whoever eats seven dates of Ajwah (a special date grown mainly in Madinah) will not be harmed by poison or magic for the rest of the day.”
2) An-Nasai and Ibn Majah related that the prophet (S.A.W.S.) said;
“The Ajwah is from paradise, and it is an antidote against poison.”
3) It is narrated in the Sahih that the prophet (S.A.W.S) said;
“The people of a house where there are no dates are hungry”
4) An Nasai and Ibn Majah narrated in their Sunan that Aishah (R.A)said that the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W.S) said;
“Eat fresh dates with dried dates, for when Satan sees the Son of Adam eating fresh and dried dates, he comments, “The Son of Adam remained until he started eating the new and the old together.’’
5) In the Sahihain it is narrated that Abdullah bin Ja’far (R.A) said;
“I saw the messenger of Allah (S.A.W.S) eating cucumbers with ripe dates”
6) Abu Dawud also narrated in his Sunan that Anas (R.A) said:
“The Messenger of Allah (S.A.W.S) used to break his fast on some ripe dates, and if he did not have any, on dry dates. Otherwise, if he did not have any dry dates, he would have several sips of water.
7) Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi narrated that the Prophet (S.A.W.S) used to eat watermelon with ripe dates, saying;
“The hotness of this substance (dates) neutralizes the coolness of that (watermelon).