Its just one of those times when I get a craving to eat something sweet and sour. Also, as always I want to speed up family dinners. This is just the recipe for that. Now chicken teriyaki is a japanese dish known for its sweet an smoky flavour and shiny appearance. Typically a chicken teriyaki is made with soy sauce and mirin. Mirin is a slightly sweet wine that gives the smoky and sweet flavour. After searching several recipes, I came up with a perfect full proof halal chicken teriyaki with no use of any alcohol but a beautiful sweet, smoky and sour flavour. Now, ‘teri’ means to shine and ‘yaki’ means to cook on a griddle or grill. An original chicken teriyaki wont use spring onions or ginger, but this is the way I like. So you could call this recipe a spicy indo-japanese chicken teriyaki my style. Trust me you will love it. Serve it some rice. I like to serve it with some spicy schezwan rice, just because I love it all hot n spicy ;) would inshAllah soon post a recipe for the schezwan rice.
Do try it and give me some feedback guys. Always love to hear it from you.
- Chicken – 500 gms, boneless, cut into cubes
- Ginger- 1.5 tablespoons, chopped
- Garlic- 2 tbsp, chopped
- Spring onions- 5, whites and greens chopped separately
- Salt- to taste
- . Black pepper- to taste
- Oil -2-3 tbsp or as required
- Dark soy sauce- 2-3 tbsp
- Vinegar- 2 tbsp
- Hoisin sauce- 2 tbsp
- Honey- 1.5 tbsp
- Barbecue sauce – 2 tsp (optional)
- Red chilli sauce- 1 tbsp (optional)
- Dark soy sauce- 1 tbsp
- Vinegar- 1 tbsp
- Brown sugar- 2 tsp
- Black Pepper- 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Marinate the cubed chicken with the ingredients of the marinade. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add the marinated chicken pieces and stir fry till the chicken is slightly caramelised and tender. Drain the chicken pieces on an absorbent paper.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Heat the same oil and add the chopped ginger, garlic and whites of spring onions. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes till the ginger and garlic gets cooked and the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken pieces.
- Add the ingredients for the sauce and cook till the gravy is thick and shiny.
- Add the spring onion greens.
- Serve hot.